Guidelines - Transfer of Ownership
GUIDELINES FOR THE REGISTRATION OF A TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP IN RESPECT OF A PLEASURE YACHT OR FISHING VESSEL REGISTERED UNDER THE MERCHANT SHIPPING ACT (VALLETTA REGISTRATION) OWNED BY AN INDIVIDUAL (THE TRANSFEROR) TO BE TRANSFERRED TO A THIRD PARTY ELIGIBLE FOR REGISTRATION (THE TRANSFEREE)
- Check that all annual registration fees (both registration and radio licence fees, if applicable) in respect of the yacht/fishing vessel are duly paid up. The transfer of ownership cannot be registered if there are outstanding fees.
- Check whether the yacht/fishing vessel is subject to a registered mortgage or other registered encumbrances. This may be checked by carrying out an inspection of the respective register at the Merchant Shipping Directorate of Transport Malta.
- In the case of a fishing vessel, a new fishing licence in the name of the transferee or a letter issued by the Department of Fisheries stating that the transferee will be issued with a Fishing Licence is required.
- The Bill of Sale in the Individual Form or Body Corporate shall be presented. It is to be ensured that the Bill of Sale is duly filled in, signed by the transferor in the presence of a witness as required by the form. In the case where the transferor is married/forming part of a Civil Union the signature of the other spouse shall be also included in the Bill of Sale. Otherwise, the Civil Status Declaration shall be presented.
- The Declaration of Ownership, either in Individual Form or Body Corporate shall be signed by the transferee at Transport Malta or in front of a Commissioner for Oaths or a Maltese Consul. In the case of an individual as transferee, his Identity Card or Passport, and documentary evidence of residence where applicable, shall be presented. In the case of a Body Corporate as transferee, the Memorandum and Articles of Association shall be filed with sufficient proof that the signatory has the power to sign on behalf of the entity as transferee.
- A request for change of vessel name approval (if applicable) shall be signed by the transferee. Acceptance of the name is subject to availability and approval by the Directorate.
- The Certificate of Malta Registry and its corresponding Renewal Certificate/s (if any) shall be surrendered.
- The 250 fee for the registration of a transfer of ownership shall be paid.
A transfer of ownership shall be registered at the Merchant Shipping Directorate of the Authority for Transport in Malta, Hal Lija during the normal office hours from Monday to Friday (except National and Public Holidays) between 08:00 and 11:45 hours and 12:30 to 16:00 hours.
This list shall serve as guidelines. It is to be noted that particular cases may require different or further documentation or requirements.
In case of difficulties or the need for any clarifications, applicants are encouraged to contact the Merchant Shipping Directorate prior to the registration of the transfer of ownership.
Merchant Shipping Directorate
Malta Transport Centre
Hal Lija LJA 2021
Tel: +356 21250360
Fax: +356 21241460